Senior Economic Policy Officer, Miami
The Consulate General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Miami is looking for a senior economic policy officer. The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of entrepreneurship and the ins and outs of doing business in the United States, particularly in the South.
He or she will advise the consul general and her deputy, and will be responsible for the promotion of Netherlands exports and investment in the United States. This position is offered at pay scale 9 for a fixed term of two years, with possibility of renewal, and with a probationary period of two months.
The primary roles of the consulate general are economic diplomacy, trade and investment promotion, and the provision of consular services. The economic team is responsible for trade promotion of Dutch companies (with particular focus on small and medium sized enterprises) in the southern United States.
The team provides market information, identifies business opportunities, and connects interested parties in the public and private sectors, and its primary economic focus is on industries related to water, climate resilience, logistics, and agriculture. Investment, innovation, and startups are integral elements of these priorities. The consulate general undertakes public and cultural diplomacy activities to support its economic diplomacy role and to promote the Netherlands as an innovative, open, and inclusive society.
The Consulate General in Miami is part of the diplomatic network of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the United States, and serves the states of Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, as well as a number of island states in the Caribbean.
The consulate works in close cooperation with the Netherlands Business Support Office (NBSO) in Houston,the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFIA) in Atlanta, the Netherlands Embassy in Washington, D.C., and the four other Netherlands consulates in the United States.
The consulate also works closely with seven honorary consuls in its jurisdiction. The consulate’s staff consists of 10 employees: two diplomats and eight locally hired staff members. The economic team consists of five highly motivated professionals, including the consul general. Each staff member functions with a large degree of independence and is responsible for a part of the consulate general’s collective output.
The consulate general is looking for a creative, pragmatic, and results-oriented person who takes initiative and is a team player. The successful candidate will have a positive attitude and know how to work well with a variety of colleagues and partners. He or she will understand entrepreneurs and the environment in which they operate, as well as the government and its role in trade and investment. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be an effective networker with strong analytical skills and a good sense for spotting opportunities and translating them into concrete actions.
For more information please about this vacancy, please contact:
Mr. Luuk Nijman
Deputy Consul General
Consulate General of the Netherlands in Miami
Luuk.Nijman@minbuza.nl +1 786-866-0483
Application letters together with resume should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: September 22, 2019
Starting date: as soon as possible
Indicative monthly gross salary: $6,381 (pay scale 9, step 0, based on 40 hours)
*This vacancy is open to internal (local employees and partners of officials posted to a Mission in the US) and external candidates. If a local employee and a partner of an official posted to a Mission are equally qualified, the local employee shall be given priority. Furthermore, if a local employee and an external candidate are equally qualified , the local employee shall be given priority.
** As per US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), employers in the US are required to ensure that all employees have the legal right to work in the US. Under US State Department requirements, the embassy and our consulates may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or “A” visa holders. There is a max term for A2 visa holders of 5 years, the Netherlands Embassy / Consulate General cannot sponsor any work permits for family members.
General features of the job
- The Senior Economic Policy Officer is primarily responsible for helping to develop and implement policy, and execute project plans for trade and investment promotion activities in order to increase Dutch business in the US market in relevant sectors.
- The Senior Economic Policy Officer is responsible for collecting and analyzing information and data, determining its relevance for the Netherlands, including Dutch companies, knowledge institutions, and governmental organizations. Based on this, he/she informs these organizations of opportunities, relevant trends, and new developments that he/she has identified.
- The Senior Economic Policy Officer is accountable to the Consul General as head of the economic section.
- Ministerial policy guidelines for Consulates General and for Economic Diplomacy, as well as available funding, are of importance when making proposals to improve policy and potential project plans.
Duties and result areas
Description of duties, but not limited to:
- Translating the overall economic strategy of the US mission network, ministerial policy frameworks and Dutch economic policy into creative and effective strategies for Netherlands – Southern US economic cooperation and trade promotion
- Monitoring and analysing economic developments in the jurisdiction of the CG, as well as economic policies and relevant initiatives from the private and knowledge sectors, and translating these into proposals for new/updated strategies and activities by the CG
- Keeping track of economic developments in the Netherlands, as well as government policies and the needs of Dutch companies and research institutes in focus sectors, and translating these into proposals for new/updated strategies and activities by the CG
- Drawing plans and programs to implement strategies for economic cooperation and trade promotion by proposing specific action by the CG
- Contributing to the One Team cooperation within the CG and the broader US missions network, by identifying synergies between economic cooperation & trade, innovation, agriculture and investment promotion
- Contributing to up to date, relevant networks in the private, knowledge and government sectors both in the Netherlands and the jurisdiction of the CG, and making use of these networks to proactively connect Dutch and American parties serving Dutch economic interests in the US
- Anticipating and contributing to new (business) opportunities for cooperation and assisting Dutch and American parties to make use of these opportunities in the best possible ways
- Advising managers and staff on risks and opportunities, and on possible implications for the economic ambitions of the Netherlands in Southern US and on the implementation of overall ministerial policy frameworks
- Acting as an enthusiastic, well informed, proactive, service oriented linking pin between the Netherlands and the area of jurisdiction
- (Help) promoting and executing concrete activities (missions, events, etc.) that contribute to transforming opportunities and possibilities into real trade and investment transactions
- Contributing to modern and effective communication/Public Diplomacy
Description of result areas:
- An integrated approach to trade & investments, innovation and agriculture, that serves the economic interests of the Netherlands and of Dutch companies, knowledge institutes and governments, in the area of juridiction of the CG
- An excellent network in the private and knowledge sectors in the areas of responsibility, and easy access to government representatives, and visibility of the CG as a partner in relevant areas
- Creative, effective and up to date strategies for Netherlands – Southern US economic cooperation and trade promotion, which reflect ministerial policies and frameworks, Dutch strengths, as well as developments in focus sectors/states in the jurisdiction of the CG
- Knowledge and effective use of instruments to support Netherlands – US economic cooperation
- New (business) opportunities identified, and actual new and expanced economic and business cooperation between Dutch and American parties in various areas
- Regular contact with and a good understanding of challenges and opportunities for Dutch companies in the Southern US
- Timely, appropriate and good quality advice to managers
- Effective promotion of the Netherlands and Dutch strengths, Dutch companies, and Dutch knowledge institutes among various target groups
- Productive and pleasant One Team cooperation within the CG and with other missions in the US mission network
- Clear understanding of added value of the CG and what it can, or cannot, contribute
The Consulate General in Miami is a small mission representing the Netherlands in the southern United States with 2 expatriate and 8 (full time and part time) local employees. Three local employees support the CG and the Deputy CG in the economic team. Four officers are in charge of consular and general affairs. One officer supports the CG and her team as management assistant.
The geographic jurisdiction of the mission extends to the states of Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, as well as to a number of island states in the Caribbean. In this jurisdiction the CG is supported by 7 honorary consuls, as well as the Netherlands Business Support Office (NBSO) in Houston and the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFIA) in Atlanta. The mission is part of a broader network in the United States, consisting of the Embassy in Washington, DC and 5 CGs in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Miami.
The role of the CG is primarily focused on economic diplomacy, trade, and investment promotion. Consular support to Dutch citizens and cultural, political, and public diplomacy work are also relevant tasks of the CG. In view of the small size of the mission, local employees function with a large degree of independence. They are responsible for the development and implementation of policies in their priority area(s), and are held accountable for the results they achieve. As the mission is small in size, staff members will have to provide back-up for each other; flexibility and cooperation are necessities. The atmosphere is good and informal.
The office is centrally located on the 5th floor of 701 Brickell Avenue in Miami.
- Academic level (MSc, MBA or similar) relevant to the economic activities of the mission
- At least 5 years of work experience, preferably in public and private sector
- Proficiency in English and preferably Spanish and Dutch
- A network, preferably in public and private sector, relevant to the economic mission of the Consulate General
- A thorough knowledge of the American market (with a focus on the South) and of the opportunities that the market offers for Netherlands’ business
- Knowledge of the American political and economic institutional environment
- Affinity with the priority areas defined by the mission
- Preferably knowledge of the Dutch economy, market, and institutions
- Preferably experience with economic and trade work in a diplomatic mission
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including but not limited to PowerPoint and Access is required
- Proficiency in social media, including but not limited to LinkedIn and Twitter is preferable
- Strong writing and analytical capabilities, including the ability to process large amounts of information and draft concise reports
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to conduct presentations for larger and diverse audiences in English (and preferably Spanish)
Knowledge and skills
- Level of education: university level
- Level of experience: at least 5 years of relevant working experience required
- Knowledge of and experience with the business community and government environment of the southern US
- Understanding of, and feeling for, the (diplomatic) Government context in which the Consulate General operates in the southern US
- Understanding of social and specialized developments in relation to the business area or areas in which the Consulate General operates
- Skill in translating insights and information into advice, plans, and reports, and in assessing their policy and financial implications
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team across disciplines; must also be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with demanding business clients, high standards, and heavy workload
- The Senior Economic Policy Officer is expected to be highly independent to manage multiple ongoing issues, and to have an understanding of knowledge-intensive matters with a limited amount of supervision and excellent follow-up.
- The position requires solid written and verbal communication skills and a demonstrated ability to solve business problems quickly and creatively.
- The Economic Policy position requires solid analytical, investigative, and written and verbal communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to solve business problems quickly and creatively.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, with some travel required
The candidate should possess the following competences:
- Analytical skills
- External focus
- Planning & Organization
- Ability to cooperate
- With the relevant American and Dutch business communities and governments;
- With co-workers on business developments in several relevant industries and experiences with business support programs, and policy;
- With the management and co-workers on the progress of policy development and procedures, including administration and archiving issues;
- With representatives of other (EU) countries in the region;
- With colleagues at the Embassy in Washington and at other Dutch Consulates General, and at the relevant Ministries in The Hague.
The Netherlands Government celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to foster an inclusive environment within its organization. Individuals interested in advancing these diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply.